Re: Memory problem Part II

On Sat, Jun 20, 1998 at 02:24:21PM -0500, J T Gill wrote:
> It just gets more interesting.....
>
> I had written the mailing list about a problem I developed when adding
> more ram to my Amiga 4000 running NetBSD 1.3.2.

In short: there's a bug in the NetBSD/Amiga "pmap" part of the kernel that
hits people with lots of memory and big address space graphics boards.

We're not sure yet were the actual bug is. Investigations are ongoing.

A workaround seems to be to increase the Sysptsize variable.

Either

- edit /sys/arch/amiga/include/vmparam.h
  change
#define VM_KERNEL_PT_PAGES      ((vm_size_t)2)          /* XXX: SYSPTSIZE */
#define VM_KERNEL_PT_PAGES      ((vm_size_t)4)          /* XXX: SYSPTSIZE */

and recompile your kernel, or

- binary patch the kernel:

binpatch -s _Sysptsize=4 /netbsd

after both, reboot.
It does work for some people, but it probably just covers up the real bug,
and might not work for more than 128 MB + CV64/3D.

Regards,
        Ignatios