Re: "Shallow" X

Kenneth Lind <kenneth.lind%mbox2.swipnet.se@localhost> writes:
> I can't get X's screen any deeper then 4 bits. When I start X
> with the "-depth 8" I get the following:
>
> --
>
> ioctl VIOCGSIZE: Can't obtain memory      (or something like that.
> Can it be adjusted in some config-file or do I have to rebuild
> the kernel?  In any case, how and where?

  This error could be due to trying to use a display mode that doesn't
support more than 4 bit planes.  Only the dbl-ntsc, dbl-PAL, and Super72
modes will support 8 bit planes, and they normally need to be explicitly
enabled with the "-A" option to loadbsd or the bootblock loader.

Michael
---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant,  Information Technology Center
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA