"Shallow" X

Hello!

I can't get X's screen any deeper then 4 bits. When I start X
with the "-depth 8" I get the following:

--

ioctl VIOCGSIZE: Can't obtain memory      (or something like that.
                                           I get that line in

--

Can it be adjusted in some config-file or do I have to rebuild
the kernel?  In any case, how and where?

I don't have any additional GFX hardware.

--
 /
/  Kenneth Lind

Amiga1200/B1240/40MHz - 32MB   WB3.kludge   NetBSD 1.3 & X11R6.3