Re: 1.3 Amiga Kernel Recompile

On 12 Jan 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> tooleym%douglas.bc.ca@localhost wrote:
> > clnp_input.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_output' referenced from text
> > segment
> > iso.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_output' referenced from text segment
> > iso_snpac.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_addmulti' referenced from text
> > segment
> > iso_snpac.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_delmulti' referenced from text
> > segment
> > tuba_table.o: Undefined symbol `_arpt_keep' referenced from text segment
> > tuba_table.o: Undefined symbol `_arpt_prune' referenced from text segment
> > tuba_table.o: Undefined symbol `_arpt_prune' referenced from text segment
>
> This seems to be a bug somewhere. To work around it, remove the following
> line from your kernel config file:
>
> options         ISO,TPIP        # OSI
>
> You can probably also remove the NS, EON, and CCITT etc. lines.
> (These are all some sort of network protocols like TCP/IP but
> rarely used; you sure don't want them :-)

Then what I presume to be happening is that these protocols that nobody
uses have been created specifically for computers with ethernet cards--and
perhaps were never meant for anything but ethernet in the first place,
which would mean that these aren't bugs after all then, and merely the
product of my "i can foresee myself sometime in the far off future needing
something like this to connect to an obscure information source or
computer" mentality.

Thanks for your help--it appears that once these lines are removed, I can
once again compile a kernel without ethernet support. I now have a 900k
kernel I'm currently running off of! :)

Marc Tooley