Re: Troubles with 1.3 ALPHA

On 21-Nov-97, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>Hi Tom,

>> I've installed the 1.3 ALPHA on my A4000 with the following config:
>>
>>    A4000 with 28Mhz Warp Engine
>>    250 MB IDE Drive
>>    2.0 GB Seagate ST12400N SCSI Drive (ID #2)
>>    400 MB Seagate ST1480 SCSI Drive (ID #4)
>>    Iomega ZIP drive (ID #5)
>>    Toshiba XM-5201TA CD ROM (ID #6)
>>    Multiface III Multi IO card
>>    Commodore A2060 Arcnet card
>>
>> and I'm having some trouble when I try running a build of the
>> kernel.  The machine seems to hang completely.  Has anyone
>> else experienced this?

>Sound like you didnt have any swap. Did you install afresh or upgrade?

>You need to have a line similar to

>/dev/sd0bnoneswapsw0 0

>in your /etc/fstab, and a

>swapctl -A -t blk

>in your rc.local (or start it manually as root afterwards) to enable the
>swap... swap is no longer autodetected by the kernel on start.

Thanks Ignatios.

I added these in, and apparently swapping works now, but I'm still having
a problem when I try to compile a new kernel.  I testing that swapping
works by mounting mfs on the swap partition to /tmp, copying about 40 MB of
files there (I have 28 MB of fast RAM and 2MB of chip RAM in  my machine)
and then running 'swapctl -l' which told me that the swap partition what
something like 28 per cent used.  I run 'make depend' after running config,
and it runs for few seconds, and then the machine stops.  I've run the
compile in the background with the following command:

make depend > make.depend.out 2>&1 &

and after a few seconds, the disk stops working, and my console stops
printing any characters.  The cursor moves when I type, but nothing
gets printed.  I've also noticed that I'm getting consistent hangs when
I try to exiting from X.  I don't know if these are related or not.
Anybody have any other ideas

Tom Hayko               Team AMIGA
tjhayko%interlog.com@localhost    http://www.interlog.com/~tjhayko