Re: I know that (Was: Re: BSDisc != Gateway II (Was: Re: Installing to A3000 w/ CD-ROM))

Not understanding the problem at that moment, I wrote:

> > Some messages ago, that chap was talking about NetBSD1.1 on the BSDisc
> > CD-ROM. It is obvious that it is not *the* Gateway CD-ROM
> > so booting is unlikely to happen
>
> Uh-oh... read again what I wrote.
>
> Short: I proposed to boot, hand-operated, his NetBSD-1.0 kernel (on his
> Amiga disk), use the CD-ROM as a root file system (as he has no means of
> preparing a Berkeley FFS partition from AmigaOS) and to do installation
> hand-operated, too.

not remembering that we not so much need a root filesystem per se, but a
root file system with at least:

a) /dev which has at least entries for the correct tty (mounting
happens much later, allowing for other paths, like
/unpacked/amiga/dev/cd0a to be given

b) /sbin/init, /sbin/oinit or /sbin/init.bak for the right architecture
(but which could be compiled in to the kernel to be special)

c) a shell for the right architecture, which needs not to be at the right
place as its path is specified by the user, or could be compiled in to
the special installing /sbin/init

*Sigh*

I guess true multi-architecture installation cd-roms require the massive
use of either the respective native operating system, or a memory
filesystem (no, not mfs, but ffs on top of what used to be called "rd"
on some architectures in NetBSD-1.2.

I apologize for any confusion I might have caused.

        Ignatios Souvatzis
        Ignatios Souvatzis