Re: unknown device major 0xffffffffffffffff during 10_RC3 INSTALL boot

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:09:05AM +0000, Josh Moyer wrote:
> Hi port-amd64,
> I am trying to install 10_RC3, but when I boot the kernel I get a
> bunch of "unknown device major 0xffffffffffffffff" and then it
> immediately asks for my root and dump devices and also for my
> filesystem (?) before starting sysinst.  Any input or ideas?  This is
> on a mid-2010 21.5" iMac and I'm using boot from 10_RC1.

This means your boot device has not been recognized by the kernel (or the
bootloader and the kernel disagree about details of the boot device).

Are you booting from a CD? There were changes to efiboot related to CD boots
on amd64.

Martin