Re: System fully writable right after install

On 20 November 2014 13:26, Justin Cormack <justin%specialbusservice.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> just performed a fresh install of a Netbsd 6.1 patch (amd64) from the
>> releng repos. The installl was very smooth (I had tried a Nebsd-7
>> install but I encountered fatal errors).
>>
>> The last time I installed 6.1.2 I remember the system booting read
>> only in single mode. I had to remount / rw and edit rc.conf and
>> restart.
>>
>> To my surprise I didn't have to do anything, the system is already rw
>> and I haven't even touched rc.conf.
>>
>> I am using wireless and didn't have to configure anything. During
>> installation it detected wireless settings automatically and installed
>> pkgsrc.
>>
>> As it is a fresh installation, has anything changed in the 6-1 installer?
>
> Can you file an issue for the 7.0 errors, it should be stable now
> without regressions.

Regarding the 7.0, my error was the same as resported on this thread:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2014/08/23/msg025653.html

"installboot: Old BPB too big, use -f (may invalidate filesystem)
         installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed"

I used the latest image from releng.

I wasn't and I am not on current-users and I have reinstalled, so I
might file a bur report but I am not sure if I would want to follow it
up.

> I don't remember 6.1 ever starting in single user mode - perhaps there
> was an issue with something last time when you installed it which is
> now fixed? The intention is that it should be ready to go...

I did install 6.1.2 (amd64) back in November 2013 and I clearly
remember this message at my first boot:

"  /etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted. "

This message is still dispalyed on the 6-1 install.html file:
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-6-1/201411180100Z/amd64/INSTALL.html#Post%20installation%20steps

The steps I made were more or less the same as last time.

I am not complaining at all, actually I'm impressed.

I am not on my netsbd partition right now. I'll be checking on rc.conf
if it mentions any change made by sysinstall.