Problems upgrading from 5.1 to 6.1.2

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade a NetBSD/amd64 5.1 system to 6.1.2 and I'm having problems during the install. Building the world with build.sh completes successfully, but when I try to install, I start getting "Bad system call" errors after the base tarball installs.

The TOOLDIR gets built and it's specified during the install step. But somewhere in the install process, the scripts call "cd" and "/bin/rm", which have been overwritten with 6.1.2 versions.

The first line after the "installsets ===>" line is:

    [1]  Bad system call (core dumped) (cd "${dest}"; $...

At this point, the system is unusable because many useful commands dump core due to the bad system calls.

If I install the kernel first, the system won't boot because 'init' fails to start.

This machine is running in a VMware session, so I took a disk snapshot after the build and can easily rollback when the install fails (which it has done a dozen or so times while I try different things.) I'm running out of ideas.

I also tried to install via the 6.1.2 ISO, but I get "/temproot disk full" errors.

So what am I doing wrong? I know upgrading the system is a little more complicated when system calls or kernel structures change significantly. But I thought I did the right thing (I've been upgrading my systems since the 1.5 days and never have this much trouble when upgrading a major version.)

Thanks for any insight or help you can provide!

--
Rich