Re: port-amd64/47782 - ifconfig SIOCSIFMEDIA error with bge

On May 1, 2013, at 7:51 PM, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:

> (2013/05/02 2:47), Stephen M. Jones wrote:
>> Just a quick follow up to port-amd64/47782
>>
>> I did a fresh install on several SuperMicro amd64 servers with bge ethernet
>> interfaces and configured both bge's in an acceptable fashion.  I then clean
>> booted the servers 865 times to gather some stats.
>>
>> Background:  I'm using NetBSD ukato 6.0.1 NetBSD 6.0.1 (GENERIC) amd64.  I
>> was using a custom kernel with bge/brgphy, but thought for this test using
>> generic would be best.
>>
>> ifconfig.bge0:
>> up
>> media autoselect
>> 192.94.73.7 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
>>
>> ifconfig.bge1:
>> up
>> media autoselect
>> 10.0.0.7 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
>>
>> bge1 always had its interface successfully configured.  However, bge0
>> failed with an ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument 343 times, but was
>> successful 522 times (total of 865 clean boots).
>>
>> For media and mediaopts I did implicitly set those, but still ran into issues
>> with bge0 failing iwth a SIOCSIFMEDIA.  When the interface is in this state,
>> you cannot even do a simple ifconfig bge0 192.94.73.7 to bring the interface
>> up even by doing a ksh /etc/rc.d/network stop first.  I believe that this
>> is likely a serious bug.  Originally I thought that this may be an autoneg
>> issue with the switch, but simple ifconfigs are failing without a reboot.
>>
>> However, if I'm overlooking something that has changed between NetBSD 4.0.1
>> and 6.x, please feel free to stick my nose in it.
>
> Could you show me the full dmesg of the machine with BGE_DEBUG option?

Masa has clarified this as an issue specific the IPMI for the onboard devices
on the
H8SSL (SuperMicro) and likely other boards.  I saw this behavior in 5.x testing
as well,
but it looks like it has been addressed in -current.  Running 6.99.19 on the
same host
showed the bge driver to be robust.  If possible, it would be great to have the
-current
bge code, if it is not too extensive of a change, in the pending release of
6.1.

Thank you for your clarification and help with this issue.