Subject: Netboot (PXE??) Install
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Lixfeld <jason@lixfeld.ca>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/25/2004 13:28:26
Can someone give me some pointers on doing a netboot install?  My
machine supports PXE boot and I've looked at some of the netboot
documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/local.install.html
makes reference to a ramdisk kernel and a netboot disk image , but I
can't find a ramdisk kernel or netboot disk image anywhere for amd64.
Also there is a reference to a miniroot-fs but I'm using MacOS X and
vnconfig isn't here from what I can gather.  The other options seem to
require a bootable system before all else so they aren't possibilities
I can consider anyway.

I don't see/know much about pxe boot but even still, you need some sort
of kernel from what I understand which I can't find anywhere for amd64.

In the post located at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2003/11/16/0001.html the
gentlemen is having the same issues as I myself am having.  Christos
made reference to he, himself doing netboot installs and says this
person's best bet is to do a pxeboot, however there isn't any reference
anywhere to amd64 pxe booting from what I have been able to find so
far.

Any pointers appreciated.  I'd hate to have to go to linux but if I
can't get this machine to boot and install, I may have no recourse :(

BTW: For those who are scratching their heads and wondering why I can't
get this machine to install, see these threads:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2004/02/22/0003.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2004/04/24/0000.html

Thanks in advance.