And indeed, after putting back the old drive, burning a CDR it boots :)
Whoohoo :)

For this purpose I have started a doc with already existing information on the internet with references to working 512 CDROM drives. See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BZ341ZdjQeFVhuHrh6_CzBEtBXZZ8matElM4VimX1vY/edit?usp=sharing

On 2019-02-19 23:06, Stefan wrote:
Netbooting is a bit of hassle as I dont have any servers available for
that purpose right now.
If all else fails I might try that though.

As to IDE, just the CDROM drive is IDE, the rest is SCSI.
The Pioneer drive might be too new but I wonder if that would cause
the SCSI error.

For anyone that missed it, this is the first error that flashes past :
cb_open: failed SCSI 0 4 0 0 0 0 0, dka0.0.0.4.0

That does mention the CDROM drive though, hmm, perhaps I should stick
the Plextor back and get me some regular CDR's instead of DVD's ;) The
system did also come with an old Debian distro, will try that too with
the old drive.