Port-alpha archive

Re: Is this list alive?

On 12/21/2012 12:48 AM, Bill Roman wrote:
>> the multias are pathetic, not stable....
>
> Perhaps... but they're *cute* :-)
>
> I have one (well, more than one, but the others are for parts).  I've
> played around with NetBSD 4 and 5 on it, and I'm getting ready to try
> again with 6.0.
>
> I had noticed some apparent stability problems -- random compile errors
> and segfaults while building a kernel, never reproducible.  I was going
> to try swapping some parts around, figuring it was some marginal
> hardware somewhere.
>
> But if it's a general Multia issue, I don't want to waste time on it.
>
> So -- is anyone else with a Multia finding it's "not stable"?

  I did, when I ran a few.  I have one now that I haven't fired up in a
long time.  But Back In The Day(tm), before I realized it was a crap
design, I had lots of overheating problems with them, and later the
infamous "fried 74F623" issue.  I replaced about half a dozen of those.

  If you haven't put a heat sink on your Multia's 74F623 chip, I would
suggest doing so when you can.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ