Port-alpha archive

Re: can't reboot after running a 5.0 kernel

Hi Chuck,

thanks for looking into this!

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:03:23PM -0500, Chuck Cranor wrote:
>     The main difference between the lwp_trampoline() and the new
> setfunc_trampoline() is that the setfunc_trampoline() no longer
> calls lwp_startup().

Yes, that was the intention of it all - but unfortunately I can not
remember why, and where this was discussed. The original change happened
back in 2008 and I then tried to make sure all ports behave consistently
and filed a bunch of PRs.

I think it was about cpu_setfunc() being callable later, for already
running lwps again - but apparently that does not happen (anymore?) -
maybe somebody else remembers details?

I'll have to dig through old PRs and (unfortunately not very clear) commit
messages.

Can you please file a PR? We should make up our mind if cpu_setfunc is
supposed to call lwp_startup() or not, make sure all ports do it consistently,
and find out if the SA compat code needs fixing (e.g. arrange for a call to
lwp_startup by other means). Or backout all the changes to various ports
that introduced the separate trampoline.

Thanks,

Martin