Port-alpha archive

Re: Netbooting a machine w/ a disk

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 03:30:00AM -0600, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> I got the system installed to the local hard drive.  Now I just don't
> know how to boot it.  Using the kerninst netbsd.gz reloads the
> installer (of course).  gzip'ing the netbsd from the kern-GERNERIC
> package boots, but then asks where init it.  I'm assuming because it
> doesn't know what the root filesystem is.  Where do I go from here? :)

For a start you can boot -a the generic kernel, it then will ask for the
root device and you can tell it your disk (wd0a or sd0a).

Next step is to build a custom kernel with a simple change in the config
file:

in sys/arch/alpha/config/GENERIC search for this lines:

config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
#config         netbsd  root on sd0 type ffs
#config         netbsd  root on ? type nfs

and change them to:

#config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
config         netbsd  root on sd0 type ffs
#config         netbsd  root on ? type nfs

(maybe replace sd0 with wd0 if your root disk is IDE instead of SCSI)

Then build a new kernel from this modified config file, copy it to /netbsd
on your boot disk and also gzip it and put it on your tftp server.

Martin