Port-alpha archive

Re: xorg for alpha: it's there !

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 03:13:48PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:22:03PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > I got our in-tree xorg to work properly on alpha.
> Great! Now I need to dust off my PWS500au.
> Thanks. :-)
>
> > I tested the
> > glint, mga, s3, s3virge, tga and vga drivers on both PWS500 (ev56, non-BWX)
> > and XP1000 (ev6, BWX) platforms.
> Nitpick: The PWS500au is EV56 and EV56 has BWX. EV5 has no BWX.

But NetBSD doesn't always use BWX on EV56, see sys/arch/alpha/pci/cia.c.
And xorg is using the sparce mapping for 8/16bits registers access on this
system, not the BWX instructions (I guess it's why the XFree86 has been
working on PWS500 for me as well; it's the same broken code in
XFree86 and xorg for the BWX case)

> > Now before alpha can be switched to xorg we need to support the
> > turbochannel video adapters driven by XdecNetBSD or XalphaNetBSD.
> > I think the easiest would be to convert the kernel drivers for these
> > to wscons and use xorg's wsfb but I've not way to test this. Any
> > takers ?
> You live in Paris France? I live in Germany. As this is all EU shipping
> should not be too hard. So I am willing to donate a DEC3000-300X with a
> set of different TC framebuffers to you if it helps. I may throw in an
> AlphaStation 200 in too. (It is a 166 MHz EV4 machine.)
>
> If remote debugging is enough: I have a remote debugging facility and I
> can add those two machines to it. This remote debugging facility is used
> by other NetBSD developers already. I may be able to connect a display to
> at least one of those machines and a camera looking at the display.

Maybe remote debugging will be enough (And I don't really have space for
more hardware :). I'll get back to you when I'll look at this.