Port-acorn32 archive

Re: Struggling to install

Anthony Hilton wrote:
I am struggling to install NetBSD 4.0 from a CD onto an ARM610 RiscPC with
1Mb VRAM, 36Mb main RAM and RIS OS 4.39 in ROM.

Following Chris Gilbert's post on 3 Feb I downloaded the BtNetBSD/spk and
generic kernel and the other files but do not know what to do with them.

During the install the screen is barely legible so I've had to accept
defaults not being able to read the various options. Where the right side of
the display wraps to the left of the screen it is fine, and at the left ofthe
display it is OK but rappidly deteriorates towards the right and shows a lot
of movement and apparent partial over-writing of text.

Can you describe the illegability, are you getting some text, but missing the last bits on screen? (or even a picture from a camera :) in theory an arm610 does write-through, normally the illegability is something that a strongarm does (or it did, I tweaked vidcvideo to improve strongarm output in -current to make it readable)

If you've got an SA I can do you a kernel that should be readable. I probably should ask for pull-ups to the 4.0 branch for the next release.

As far as I can tell it does somethin with the generic kernel - counting up
to 100% and then moves on to acorn32/binaries/sets/base.tgz but hangs after a
while, the percentage stalls and the other numbers stop changing. Once it got
to 19% and I left it for over 20 minutes with no change to the screen before
I re-booted the box.

Hmm, that implies that it stopped extracting the file.

RISC OS is running 800x600x32K from the AKF60 MDF driving an Iiyama Pro 411 and I haven'tmodified the !BtNetBSD.!Run file from that supplied as I don't
know what the effects might be.

It should display fine, it sounds like you're getting some text.

My experience with *nix type systems is very limited but does include a
successfull install of RiscBSD 1.6 onto a RiscPC and then getting an A3000
connected as a terminal over serial.

I just about remember 1.6 :) I'd like to think we've improved since then, but given my recent experiences with acorn32 I think it's bit-rotted oven recent months/years. It's something I've been working.

Thanks,
Chris