Re: Zabbix update?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Havard Eidnes <he%uninett.no@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see Zabbix picked up (I have a local need...),
> and I've done some work, based on the existing setup in
> wip/zabbix.
>
> IMHO, one of pkgsrc's weak spots is the options handling,
> particularly in conjunction with pre-built binary packages, where
> you typically only get the default picked by the package
> maintainer, and if you want something non-default, there's no
> matching binary package, and you have to build it yourself.
>
> Also, since Zabbix appears to consist of at least three different
> components, (agent, proxy, server), I find it natural to have
> these three as separate packages.
>
> To that end I've so far created a zabbix-agent and a
> zabbix-server package.  However, the choice of database backend
> is probably a "server thing" if I've understood correctly, so
> instead of having the choice of database backend as an option
> (and defaulting to the presumably non-optimal sqlite3), I was
> thinking of creating separate and distinct zabbix-server
> packages, one for each choice of database backend (sqlite3,
> postgres, mysql).
>
> It's not yet clear to me which components are affected by the
> "ldap", "curl" and "snmp" options, and whether it's reasonable to
> turn those on by default.
>
> I've based this on wip/zabbix/ and renamed Makefile to
> Makefile.common and tweaked it a bit, and updated the Zabbix
> version from 1.8.something to the more recent 2.4.2.
>
> Any comments before I commit my incremental work so far?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Håvard

Yes, you should split the server and agent pkg. Look at another pkg
system for guidance on the proxy pkg.

If possible, include as many options as possible in the default server
options.  Definitely the ones you've called out: mysql, pgsql,
sqlite3, ldap, curl, and snmp.

Also I use zabbix at my job so I can answer other questions about it too.