Re: Zabbix update?

Havard Eidnes <he%uninett.no@localhost> writes:

> I would like to see Zabbix picked up (I have a local need...),
> and I've done some work, based on the existing setup in
> wip/zabbix.

Cool - it's wip, so as long as the other people who created wip/zabbix
aren't (reasonably) upset, hack away.

I have not been thrilled by nagios so I will be curious to see how this
goes.

> IMHO, one of pkgsrc's weak spots is the options handling,
> particularly in conjunction with pre-built binary packages, where
> you typically only get the default picked by the package
> maintainer, and if you want something non-default, there's no
> matching binary package, and you have to build it yourself.

That's true,  But the only ways out are:

  1) build packages for the power set of options

  2) decompose packages into things that can be added

(1) blows up.  (2) requires rototilling upstream, and many upstreams
seem to think everyone should build their code by hand.

> Also, since Zabbix appears to consist of at least three different
> components, (agent, proxy, server), I find it natural to have
> these three as separate packages.

That's useful if a normal use would involve having some but not the
others, and if some are large or have heavier dependencies.  Sometimes
it's better to just leave them bundled and have people install stuff
they don't need because it aligns with uptream's build process.   I am
not questioning your judgement in this particular case - just pointing
out that the considerations aren't entirely obvious.

> To that end I've so far created a zabbix-agent and a
> zabbix-server package.  However, the choice of database backend
> is probably a "server thing" if I've understood correctly, so
> instead of having the choice of database backend as an option
> (and defaulting to the presumably non-optimal sqlite3), I was
> thinking of creating separate and distinct zabbix-server
> packages, one for each choice of database backend (sqlite3,
> postgres, mysql).

So that's something we have not been doing in pkgsrc, generally.
There's no rule against doing it in wip, but nobody does binary builds
of wip so there it doesn't help.

You might see if sqlite3 works well enough.  While I'm a pgsql fan, it
seems many things don't need all that giant-database stuff and packages
with sqlite3 don't need any db setup and that's nice.   So sqlite3 may
actually be non-optimal in the overall sense for many users.

A question would be whether zabbix has a plugin architecture so that the
base package could have zabbix (and maybe sqlite) and then plugins for
other db.  Then it would be adding split packages, not swapping.

> It's not yet clear to me which components are affected by the
> "ldap", "curl" and "snmp" options, and whether it's reasonable to
> turn those on by default.

The big question in options is choosing between people who need them
having to rebuild and people who don't need them having the code present
and having to put up with the dependencies.  Another factor is whether
the dependencies are imposed on all monitored machines or just the
server, which is presumably beefy and has lots of stuff anyway.  Without
actually knowing anything about what they do, I would guess that ldap
could be off by default and curl and snmp on.  But it may be that snmp
is deprecated for security reasons and should be off.

> I've based this on wip/zabbix/ and renamed Makefile to
> Makefile.common and tweaked it a bit, and updated the Zabbix
> version from 1.8.something to the more recent 2.4.2.
>
> Any comments before I commit my incremental work so far?

I think you might as well commit.  if the old package was 1.8 then it
isn't being actively looked after.