Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/ocamlnet

Tim Larson <tlarson%remitpro.com@localhost> writes:

>> But it requires a great deal of git-fu.
> […]
>> (It seems obvious to me that git is the only
>> reasonable choice these days, but perhaps that's not the common view
>> here.)
>
> Personally I don't see anything wrong with svn.  Some think the
> distributed model is a huge benefit, but with a HA svn server and hot
> backup in a DR site, I don't see much practical difference.

subversion's branching/merging model is too painful.  In order to use
it, you have to understand that when reintegrating a feature branch, you
need to either immediately delete the feature branch, or do a
record-only merge of the reintegration changset onto the feature
branch.

(Also in my world people need to do work when they don't have the
internet, but I realize that's not universal.)

> But then, I'm in the subset of devs that's been using cvs/svn forever,
> with not much git-fu.  I've tried to wrap my head around the mindset,
> but I just don't "get" git.

That's where I was before I started in 2008 and really dug in in 2010.

See "Pro Git" by Scott Chacon.  The two key points are

  the commit/tree/b.lob pointer model and how things are only added to
  the repo

  the merge model, with multiple parents, and using
  ancestry/reeachability rather than changeset tracking

The latter turns out to work well in practice with lots of balls in the
air.  With svn it has been too painful.  (I'm talking about projects
with 20 people full time and 20 open branches.)