Re: Mesa status ?

Hi iMil,

iMil wrote:
> Hi François,
>> I've recently started to update many X11 packages; my goal here is to
>> be able to someday run a KMS based xf86-video-intel driver and use
>> Xorg on recent hardware.
>
> wow, that would indeed be great; have you seen this:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2012/03/11/msg019462.html ?

Yes, that's the other face of the coin. We need both KMS (or special
patches to drivers/drm to avoid it) and an updated xorg stack.
Since I'm running DragonFly and not NetBSD this particular set of
changes won't help me much but there has been some ongoing work since
2010 to add KMS support to our kernel :)

>> On the other hand, the 7.8.2 version in wip/ works perfectly with what
>> we have in pkgsrc right now.
>
> Well, to be pefectly honest, the only reason why I'm investigating is
> because I'd really like to have the famous r600_dri working, 7.8.2 have
> those so that's OK for me, but I was wondering what effort would it take
> to push it to 7.11.2.

Probably not much by itself; the main issue I encountered was newer
versions of Mesa couldn't run with current versions of its dependencies
as packaged in pkgsrc.
I didn't bother with 7.11.2 and tried directly to 8.0.2.

The wip package sources are visible here: http://dl.wolfpond.org/pkgsrc/
I didn't bother adding them to pkgsrc-wip yet, I wanted to get most of
the other X11 packages updated first.
I also need to add O_CLOEXEC support to the kernel to make them build
properly on DragonFly.

>> The most pressing needs are x11/xproto (see PR #45465) and
>> modular-xorg-server (a newer version is available in wip/)
>
> Is it needed by Mesa 7.8 or only 8.0 ?

It's not directly related but the last version of the intel driver needs
a more recent version of modular-xorg-server, which itself depends on
x11/xproto.

Any pkgsrc committer willing to update graphics/Mesa* ?

--
Francois Tigeot