Re: git-package.mk is confusing me

  Hello!

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> I just made trac-plugins-MasterTickets use git (from svn) to follow
> where the current code is.  I was confused by a few things.
>
> 1) GIT_TAG.repo seems not to have any effect.  My git checkout was of
> master, but I wanted a particular sha1, so that the package is pinned to
> the revision.  Looking at git-package.mk, I don't see how GIT_TAG is
> honored.
>
> 2) The unqualified GIT_MODULE is used for the cache filename and also is
> expected to match the name of the main directory checked out from git.
> I don't understand why it isn't GIT_MODULE.foo instead.
>

> Does anybody understand this better?  If so, I would appreciate comments
> being added to git-package.mk to explain the above points, and also to
> give a high-level design of the caching scheme.  It uses files named by
> date, and I haven't figured out what is going on yet.

Yes. There's no design, the development is basically ad hoc.

First of all, all $(VCS)-package.mk files repeat the design of cvs-package.mk,
it is more elaborate. Some of decisions (like cache file naming) were made
before I took over.

Basically, I've been perhaps the only user of those features until recently
(and for a long time). Since the mass migration to git started not only
some time ago I didn't use (hence didn't develop) git-package.mk until
recently (this summer, IIRC). What you see is work in progress.

In particular, GIT_TAG.* is not honoured because I didn't need it yet.
GIT_MODULE.* is not honoured because I didn't apply respective changes
from cvs-package.mk. If you need it ASAP and have time, try reducing
difference to cvs-package.mk (only don't break anything, since I rely on
some features as implemented, at least it would be nice not to break
many things at once).

If you want more features or you want to redesign all the stuff, I'm open
to suggestions. In particular, perhaps distributed VCS support should
break up from CVS-based model and use local repository replicas instead.
(On the other hand, nothing stops you from overriding *_REPO.* variables
locally. I did it for some Subversion-based packages for some time.)

--
HE CE3OH...