git-package.mk is confusing me

I just made trac-plugins-MasterTickets use git (from svn) to follow
where the current code is.  I was confused by a few things.

1) GIT_TAG.repo seems not to have any effect.  My git checkout was of
master, but I wanted a particular sha1, so that the package is pinned to
the revision.  Looking at git-package.mk, I don't see how GIT_TAG is
honored.

2) The unqualified GIT_MODULE is used for the cache filename and also is
expected to match the name of the main directory checked out from git.
I don't understand why it isn't GIT_MODULE.foo instead.

Does anybody understand this better?  If so, I would appreciate comments
being added to git-package.mk to explain the above points, and also to
give a high-level design of the caching scheme.  It uses files named by
date, and I haven't figured out what is going on yet.