Re: mk/git-package.mk (eliminates caching if no updates)

Makoto Fujiwara <makoto%ki.nu@localhost> writes:

> In the mail:
> | From: Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost>
> | Subject: Re: mk/git-package.mk (eliminates caching if no updates)
> | Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:24:22 +0400
>
> mef> I would like to add some modification to mk/git-package.mk.
>
> ASau> If you're going to introduce this, do the same for all other
> ASau> VCS-based packages. The code needs refactoring, and all such
> ASau> non-synchronous changes complicate it.
>
> Thanks for the valuable response. My observation is that
>   cvs-package.mk
>   hg-package.mk
>   svn-package.mk
>   git-package.mk
> are the VCS-based packages, right ?
> Among those, hg- has no cache function yet.

Yes, it should be added.

> The problem for me for the moment is that cache for svn- and cvs- are
> relatively small, while git- gets huge for it clones whole repository.

17695263 Mar 26 11:40 maxima-maxima-2011-03-26.tar.gz (CVS snapshot)
40304640 Jul 31 23:20 maxima-2011-07-31.tar (git snapshot)

(Note that CVS snapshot is LZ-compressed.)

I think that it doesn't cache the whole repository, only a checkout
(or close analogue of it).

> Emacs gets minimum 120MB and may get fat to 700MB.
>
> Just thinking to minimize the duplication,

If you're using it too frequently, you can implement a hack and extract
source from local VCS mirror without caching involved.

--
HE CE3OH...