Re: cvs->git?

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:11:26PM +0200, Jan ?mydke wrote:
> So to sum up my impression of your replies:
>
> - There is no strong desire to change the version control, mainly
>   because the pkgsrc users do not see much benefit of doing it
>
> - But the users are open to adopt it as long as NetBSD project switches
>   from CVS to something else
>
> Two additional notes:
>
> - I would definitely benefit from any decentralized VCS. At work I
>   cannot use 'cvs up' because of a firewall... so I have to stupidly
>   download the pkgsrc-wip-snapshot and unpack... every time I want to
>   update. Instead I could update from a git-repo from my other site very
>   easily...
>
> - Still thinking over the problem of the very limited pkgsrc
>   (and NetBSD) community. I don't dare to claim a faster VCS would flood
>   the project with new developers, but I believe it is one of the most
>   significant obstacles. When a Linux-bored guy checks NetBSD and sees
>   quite a messy web-site, he may hesitate, but finding out it is all
>   CVS-based - what? Sorry, bye. (What a pity for him, and for us!)
>
> Best,
>
> JS

I was alerted to this thread in #netbsd, and am getting into thread
at first opportunity after subscribing to ML, so excuse non-ideal
placement :)

To put another candidate into the mix which -does-
have a hope of inclusion in NetBSD, please see fossil
(http://fossil-scm.org), and see tech-repository thread at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-repository/2010/01/18/msg000345.html
for the discussion that occurred there.

Looking forward to more exploration!

Cheers,

-bch

ps: I see Peter's email right below. He's one that alerted me in
#netbsd. "maw" Peter :)

--
Brad Harder
Method Logic Digital Consulting