Re: cvs->git?

> 4. I don't like git. It takes a while to get used to its concept and to
> find and memorize just a few commands one need.
>
> On the other hand, it is perhaps the only system applicable for pkgsrc
> stuff these days (svn may be OK - but it's just an improved CVS;
> mercurial has wrong concept in my view; darcs is COOL but portability
> is POOR and the performance too; monotone or bzr... hardly) Git is
> really fast and efficient.

Actually bzr could be a better candidate - it's more "conservative"
which suits the NetBSD world better.

> 5.  What could git bring to pkgsrc-wip?

I'd rephrase this question as "What could distributed version-control
system bring to pkgsrc-wip?" Discussion about which one is - in my
opinion - a bit premature right now.

As far as I'm a big fan and long time user of DVCSs (we used to have all
development processes on darcs for about 6 years and then migrated to
bzr, some projects we're involved in use git too) - the benefits you
write may be arguable:

> The speed of any operation!

As long as you don't have to send your patches to central repository.
Then you're back where you are now and you had to take several steps
already.

> Storage efficiency.

Seriously - who cares? Especially if you have history on sf.net and not
on your hard drive.

> It is perhaps the most widely used system nowadays (outside NetBSD) so
> many people are already acustomed with that (and can start
> contributing at once).

In commercial world there's more svn, bk and (cough cough) MS
sourcesafe. Launchpad has more than 18000 projects mostly on bzr - not
really small userbase for a start either.

> I don't see why an ordinary OS-user who just wants to submit a patch to
> pkgsrc-wip has to bother with another account.

Actually if you want to submit a patch, you contact the maintainer -
it's less anarchy and it seems to work.

> 6. No problem, with CVS I can do all that's necessary, but ...

I second that, but I'm not sure if pkgsrc-wip would really benefit from
migrating to any DVCS. My opinion is more like - it wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents...

Joe