Re: Where do packages go when they die?

  what is the general policy for old (as in: smelly) packages in pkgsrc-wip?

  I am thinking about "cvs remove"ing wip/l2tpd, since the upstream project
  is dead, and I haven't used the package for something like five years.
  OTOH, it might be useful for _somebody_, you never know... wip is different
  from mainstream pkgsrc in that way.

I don't think we have a policy.  I would propose that for packages w/o
maintainers, we add a comment next to the maintainer that the package is
planned for removal in three or six months.  People can object by
becoming the maintainer, or explaining why it should stay.  Packages w/o
maintainers and are past their remove-by date can be rm'd without
further discussion.

as in

MAINTAINER=     pkgsrc-wip-discuss%lists.sourceforge.net@localhost
# Remove on 2009-08-09

I am generally reluctant to remove.  The balancing test is that the cost
for it to sit in pkgsrc outweighs the benefit to people that want to run
it.  But, your example sounds like one to remove.  (php4 on the other
hand, needs to stay.)