Re: WIP Package Life Cycle

Hi Kenneth!

> After a package has been checked into pkgsrc, I noticed the files
> for the package in wip were marked dead.  I don't understand the life
> cycle of packages, so I'm asking.
>
> 1) How do you make patches or upgrade the package in pkgsrc if all
> the files are dead, or are you now supposed to work directly with
> pkgsrc, and not with pkgsrc-wip?

For (ordinary) package updates, the work flow is to provide a patch
against pkgsrc for updating the package.

If the update introduces major changes in the package, you could
re-add it to pkgsrc-wip, perhaps even under a different name (e.g. if
it's a major new release that's incompatible with the old one).

> 2) If the package does indeed live in pkgsrc from now one, shouldn't
> the left over package in pkgsrc-wip be removed as opposed to just
> dead?

When you 'cvs remove' files, they are marked as "dead", so there is no
difference between the two.

Cheers,
 Thomas