WIP Package Life Cycle

After a package has been checked into pkgsrc, I noticed the files for the
package in wip were marked dead.  I don't understand the life cycle of
packages, so I'm asking.

1) How do you make patches or upgrade the package in pkgsrc if all the files
are dead, or are you now supposed to work directly with pkgsrc, and not with
pkgsrc-wip?

2) If the package does indeed live in pkgsrc from now one, shouldn't the left
over package in pkgsrc-wip be removed as opposed to just dead?