Re: ilbc-rfc3951 license

othyro%freeshell.org@localhost wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some advice on this, because 1) i'm not a lawyer and 2) i have never
> packaged a piece of software that used a license. This is the license to
> ilbc-rfc3951, a package i imported yesterday:
>
> http://www.ilbcfreeware.org/documentation/gips_iLBClicense.pdf
>
> http://www.ilbcfreeware.org/ says this is free. Apparently, there are
> different
> definitions of "free" tossed around, so does the Makefile need a LICENSE=
> line?
> How would bmake show-license work for a document that's not distributed with
> the
> source and available as a PDF on the Internet?

Nice questions. ;)

I would run pdf2text on the license, store it in the package directory
as the file LICENSE. Add a little comment at the top of that file that
sounds like this:

[This text has been extracted from a PDF file to make it easier to read,
and is not authoritative. The PDF file can be found in the package.]

Then, add the following lines to the Makefile:

DISTFILES= ${DEFAULT_DISTFILES}
LICENSE= gips-iLBClicense
LICENSE_FILE= LICENSE

Another interesting question is whether the license applies at all,
since all contributions to RFCs may be extracted for _any_ purpose, as
stated in <http://rfc.net/bcp78.html>, section 3.3, item (E). But I am
not a lawyer, so this whole assumption may be wrong. :)

Roland