Re: license questions

Hi,

Greg Troxel --> pkgsrc-wip-discuss (2007-08-04 21:37:29 -0400):
>   what should LICENSE be set to for dk{,im}-milter? Currently it's set
>   to `no-profit', but pkglint tells me that's deprecated. I don't think
>   `sendmail-license' ("SENDMAIL LICENSE") is correct either, at least
>   both packages contain a license titled "SENDMAIL OPEN SOURCE LICENSE",
>   and that one seems to differ from pkgsrc/licenses/sendmail-license.
>
> Yes, no-profit is deprecated because it's bogus: that's not a name for
> an actual license.
>
> Basically, read the source tarball and find the place where the
> copyright holders give permission to copy, and look at that text.  If
> it's text that has been approved as Open Source/Free by OSI/SFS, then
> for now no tag is needed.  But if it's not, it goes in
> pkgsrc/licenses/foo-license and you set to that.

Both programs are licensed under the "SENDMAIL OPEN SOURCE LICENSE"
(which is attached to this message); that license seems not to be
approved by OSI, at least I can't find it [1]here.

Redistribution of these two packages seems to be fine; however, IANAL
and thus probably fail to parse the license correctly.

IMHO this license should be committed as
pkgsrc/licenses/sendmail-opensource-license. Could anybody with committ
access do this or should I send a PR?

> If you can't find a license, set license to generic-nonlicense and set
> NO_*_ON_*.  With copyright law, lack of a license (for a copyrighted
> work) means copying is in general unlawful (fair use aside).
>
> This is hosted on sourceforge.  I thought they only accepted packages
> with open source licenses, but apparently something is amiss.

Both these projects chose the "Other / Proprietary License" license
category on sourceforge.

Regards, Jukka

[1] http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

--