Re: Removing obsolete packages

Krister Walfridsson wrote:
> pkgsrc-wip contains IMHO far too many obsolete packages which
> makes it hard to find the useful stuff (and cause extra work when
> all packages need to be updated because of infrastructure changes).
>
> In particular, there were 143 failures in my latest pkgsrc-wip
> bulk build that failed because the distfiles could not be fetched.
> I find it unlikely that anyone will miss those packages (since they
> cannot be used without the distfile anyway) so I'd like to remove
> them...  There is however no need to hurry, so I propose to wait
> for three months before removing them, to let people who care about
> those have plenty of time to find alternative locations for the
> distfiles.
>
> I have attached a list of the failing packages.  I propose to remove
> the packages that still can not fetch their distfiles at November 15.

I was looking at that list and it seems that at least some of the
packages with failing distfiles failed not because the file was gone,
but because they have not been updated to use the new distinfo file format.

I know your argument that they would not be missed still stands, but
some may work if the distinfo file was updated with the new hash.

-d