Re: Moving wip to Subversion

Peter Schuller wrote:
>> However, I'd just like to point out that there are other distributed
>> version control systems out there, and, if we were to move NetBSD
>> and/or pkgsrc to another version control system, some of them would be
>> just as good contenders:
>>
>> + subversion
>
> Unless I have missed some major news, Subversion is not distributed.
>
>> + monotone
>> + opencm
>>
>> and my personal favourite:
>>
>> + svk
>
> Last time I checked out svk it didn't seem to support a distributed model...

I'd like to put in a good word for 'git'.  Alistair alluded to 'git'
when he mentioned the linux-kernel project, where 'git' originated
and is used every day by the linux kernel developers.

I've used 'git' enough to realize that it is a major contender in
the SCM race, so I'm just asking everyone here to keep it in mind.

There is absolutely nothing linux-specific about 'git'.  I've
already submitted patches which allow 'git' to compile on NetBSD
from the source tarballs with no modifications:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.2.4.tar.bz2

Anyone who is interested in SCM's wich use distributed repositories
should definitely investigate 'git'.