Re: buildlink3.mk newbie question

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Hugo Rivera wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what a buildlink3.mk file
exactly does. I'm not sure if there's always a need
for this file to handle dependencies or not (I don't
think so), but when do I need one? I readed the pkgsrc
guide and it doesn't help me a lot, so thanks in
advance.

To help make sure that builds are consistent no matter what you have already installed, pkgsrc uses a system it calls "buildlink3".

This creates a directory of symlinks and wrapper scripts and configuration and build steps are configured to use those files instead of what may be found on the system.

Many packages have buildlink3.mk files to help describe what that specific package provides to help other packages (that depend on it) to configure and build correctly.

You may also notice builtin.mk files. These are uses to check if native versions of headers, libraries and/or tools are good enough for pkgsrc builds.

You do not need a buildlink3.mk file unless another package depends on your package and uses it for include headers or libraries for example.

We can provide more details if you provide more specific examples of your need.

Good luck and have fun with your pkgsrc work.

 Jeremy C. Reed

                         http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/