Re: modular X.org work

I'd strongly prefer if the X.org packages would be only several bigger,
but self-contained packages, along our xbase, xcomp etc. It's far
easier to maintain and use than system littered with dozens of
mini-packages.

Generally IMHO, if the vendor already packages their releases
in certain way, keep the same grouping/organization for pkgsrc.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 11:10:35AM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > See "GNOME". :)
>
> Yes, there are a lot of packages in GNOME, but IMHO, it's better.  Everything
> is more modular, which is a good thing for applications: they can have a clean
> dependency tree without pulling in "bloat".

This saving is mostly theoretical. Even if there would be some
minor space-saving, the Gnome case pretty much shown that such
spitted system gets out of control very quickly.  Don't make same
mistake, please.

> I guess this is why e.g., Debian, turn all kde* packages into meta
> packages and provides all their contents as small and individual packages.

"Ouch". I guess it's secret conspiracy to force GNOME upon their users
by making KDE as hard to install as possible :)

> (The only "problem" comes during updates... where you have to do a lot more
> packages than otherwise, and which is a somewhat slow process in
> NetBSD/pkgsrc due to build failures, PLIST updates, etc... you know ;-)

The 'Gnome' way is (besides hard to maintain and packageize) a
b*tch to upgrade for end users. For KDE, the update involves pretty
much just kde* packages, only kdelibs+kdebase are really necessary
for many of end-users and it's reasonably easy to figure the
dependency tree when you only want to update the KDE desktop items.

For Gnome, it's dozens of different packages all over the place, whose
name doesn't even suggest it's part of Gnome. Are you going to use
libbonobo{,ui} without libgnome{,ui}, libgsf without gnome-vfs2,
gail without atk etc? gnome-base lists 59 (!) different dependencies,
and those pull in countless others as subdependencies.

In short - Gnome way is package hell and their model should not be followed
for any new system.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek%NetBSD.org@localhost>            http://www.NetBSD.cz/
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-