Problems with PATH while building p5-Imager package

I've been trying to get wip/p5-Imager to work but ran into a very strange problem.

It appears like pkgsrc appends some temporary directories to the front of the PATH. It looks like adding one of the temporary directories in front of the path causes Perl's build engine not to find the header files it needs in compilation.

The directory added to the PATH that causes the problem is:
/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/tmp/wip/p5-Imager/work/.wrapper/bin

This is how I proceeded:
   $ bmake

cc -c -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include/freetype2 -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -I/usr/local/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include -DVERSION=\"0.45\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.45\" -fpic "-I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE" -DOS_linux -O2 -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include Imager.c
In file included from Imager.xs:12:
image.h:274:19: t1lib.h: No such file or directory

The file image.h is located in /netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include (I verified), and compiler has -I/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/include switch, so it should find it.

I modified Makefile.PL in temp directory to print the environment and found out that pkgsrc adds some temporary directories to PATH during build.

So I switched to a temporary directory and built the package using perl's own engine:
   $ cd /netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/tmp/wip/p5-Imager/work/Imager-0.45

   $ perl Makefile.PL
   $ make

The package was built successfully. So I made conclusion that it is something that pkgsrc adds to environment that makes perl's build engine to search in wrong directories for header files.

I added the temp directory to the PATH of the shell environment and tried to build the package again using perl's own engine, like:

$ export PATH="/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/tmp/wip/p5-Imager/work/.wrapper/bin:$PATH"

   $ perl Makefile.PL
   $ make

I got the same error (image.h:274:19: t1lib.h: No such file or directory), so it appears like addition of "/netbsd-pkgsrc/pkg/tmp/wip/p5-Imager/work/.wrapper/bin" to the PATH breaks the search path for the include files. Strangely enough, adding other directories in front of the PATH variable does not break Perl's build engine of that module.

Any ideas of what may be wrong?

Thanks,

Roman Kulik
Networking and Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota