Re: jdk request

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:01:35PM -0700, walt wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> Thanks for getting the jdk14 package working again -- very good work!
>
> I know you decided to revert to the eyesbeyond patchset number 7 to make
> your job easier, and that choice payed off well.  The one big downside to
> that choice is that the 'experimental' patchset had support for
> DragonFlyBSD, but patchset 7 does not.
>
> Now that the jdk is working well, would you be willing to go back and get
> the 'experimental' patchset working also?  I just tried applying that
> patchset to your latest jdk14, and I got 1 out of 4 hunks to apply
> successfully.  Just think of the pleasure you would get from fixing the
> other three hunks!  :o)
>
> Thanks!

Sorry for the later reply -- just came back from vacation.

There was a very good reason to revert to a tagged version of the patchset:
the -current version changes, and not only the checksum gets outdated then,
also the patches must be "re-diffed" (and sometimes dropped).

If there is a good reason to track -current (and Dragonfly support looks
like a good reason to me), I propose to split the jdk14 package into two
packages; a "stable" one tracking the tagged version of the patchset (now
7), and another one tracking the -current version (which should be updated
frequently then).

Another option, if it's only for the DragonflyBSD support, is to include
those (probably few) extra patches in patches/, and drop 'em if patchset-8
is tagged.

I would prefer the latter option, to minimize maintainance.  We could even
add other patches in-current-but-not-in-7 to the patches/ dir, which keeps
the package working (correct checksum e.d.) at all times, but also adds
extra features from the current patchset.  Thinking of it, this seems like
the best way to go to me, but please post your opinion on this.

GH