Re: Building OpenSSL 3.3.1 links with system libcrypto and libssl

On Monday, 30 September 2024 17.02.42 CEST Greg Troxel wrote:
> Mads Rasmussen <madsrasmussen%aserv.dk@localhost> writes:
> > On Monday, 30 September 2024 15.24.48 CEST Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> NetBSD8 is sufficiently old that essentially nobody is paying attention
> >> if pkgsrc works or not.  I have stopped using 8 entirely.  I would
> >> suggest updating your system to NetBSD 10.
> >
> > I am going to hammer on this, until its resolved. I think the issues with
> > the order of -L parameters and the presence of /usr/local/lib should be
> > resolved, its good its working on 9 and 10, but _why_ is it working?
> > happy mistake? coincidence? or did something change?
>
> Sure, you are free to hack on what you want and there may be a bug.  I
> was just trying to say that I personally have pruned netbsd-8 off my list.
>
> > My thesis: It is not possible to build OpenSSL from pkgsrc, when the
> > versions of libcrypto and libssl already installed on the system is
> > sufficiently behind, or is missing relevant patches
>
> 1.1.1t is really far behind 3, and it built on 9, so it's more
> complicated than your theory.
>
> > Am I right in thinking that libcrypto.so and libssl.so from /usr/lib is
> > used, when "-L/usr/lib" is before "-L/usr/pkg/lib" ? If this is indeed
> > the case, could this not lead to problems on 9 and 10, at some point in
> > the future?
> See jperkin's advice.
>
> > In any case, I don't think it's in the "NetBSD spirit" just to upgrade my
> > way out of the problem(s), not to neglect your time spend on answering
> > me, I appreciate it
>
> Well, sort of.  But in pkgsrc we have a definition of what is supported,
> and pkgsrc de-supported NetBSD 8 with the release of 10.  So formally,
> it is not a pkgsrc problem.
>
> > If you have a system with an updated version of OpenSSL, could you please
> > take a look, and see what libcrypto, libssl and libcrypt that version of
> > OpenSSL is linked with?
>
> NetBSD 9:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       17 Sep  2 15:24 /lib/libcrypto.so ->
> libcrypto.so.14.1 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       17 Sep  2 15:24
> /lib/libcrypto.so.14 -> libcrypto.so.14.1 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel
> 3143440 Sep  2 15:24 /lib/libcrypto.so.14.1
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      14 Sep  2 15:24 /usr/lib/libssl.so ->
> libssl.so.14.0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      14 Aug 26  2017
> /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 -> libssl.so.10.6 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      14
> Sep  2 15:24 /usr/lib/libssl.so.14 -> libssl.so.14.0 -r--r--r--  1 root
> wheel  649264 Sep  2 15:24 /usr/lib/libssl.so.14.0
>
> $ openssl version
> OpenSSL 1.1.1t  7 Feb 2023

>> Sure, you are free to hack on what you want and there may be a bug.  I
>> was just trying to say that I personally have pruned netbsd-8 off my list.

Sure, no problem, I completely understand, this is also a "learning journey"
for me

>> 1.1.1t is really far behind 3, and it built on 9, so it's more
>> complicated than your theory.

Yes, probably, but 1.0.2k is even further behind, I am not saying this is the
cause of the error I am experiencing, it is only a thesis after all, but right
now I can't imagine any other explanation

Is your ldd output from a stock OpenSSL on NetBSD 9, or have you updated it?