Re: Building OpenSSL 3.3.1 links with system libcrypto and libssl

On Monday, 30 September 2024 15.24.48 CEST Greg Troxel wrote:
> NetBSD8 is sufficiently old that essentially nobody is paying attention
> if pkgsrc works or not.  I have stopped using 8 entirely.  I would
> suggest updating your system to NetBSD 10.

I am going to hammer on this, until its resolved. I think the issues with the
order of -L parameters and the presence of /usr/local/lib should be resolved,
its good its working on 9 and 10, but _why_ is it working? happy mistake?
coincidence? or did something change?

My thesis: It is not possible to build OpenSSL from pkgsrc, when the versions
of libcrypto and libssl already installed on the system is sufficiently
behind, or is missing relevant patches

Am I right in thinking that libcrypto.so and libssl.so from /usr/lib is used,
when "-L/usr/lib" is before "-L/usr/pkg/lib" ? If this is indeed the case,
could this not lead to problems on 9 and 10, at some point in the future?

In any case, I don't think it's in the "NetBSD spirit" just to upgrade my way
out of the problem(s), not to neglect your time spend on answering me, I
appreciate it

If you have a system with an updated version of OpenSSL, could you please take
a look, and see what libcrypto, libssl and libcrypt that version of OpenSSL is
linked with?