Re: Disappearing packages from wip : what is the policy

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 07:26:53PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> > The freecad package has sources on github so could have been updated
> > to pass the distinfo check, it also has a listed maintainer.
>
> You're right, it _could_ have been updated, but nobody did that in the
> past few years.

Sorry to sound philosophical, if you find someone ill, at least ask if
someone is willing to send him to a doctor. Don't kill him because he was
ill.

If no one turns up you may still do so.

It is not obvious for creators of packages to keep coming and updating
them unless they come across a need to do so. But that does not imply they
aren't using it. Presence of RMD160 also does not imply package is not in
use.

A couple of packages I restored were not even too old, they were pretty
close to the latest release already.

I think an announcement would be a prudent thing to do. They do it on main
pkgsrc. Why not just drop a mail for wip packages that would be removed if
no objections?

--
Mayuresh