Re: Revisiting native rust

* On 2024-07-23 at 11:20 BST, Havard Eidnes wrote:

   [...] Just to be clear, installing a specific version is
   extremely easy, and just requires running a single command
   (assuming one has rustup installed already):

   $ rustup install 1.67.0

I'll admit that I've not fully understood the attraction of
"rustup" (which we probably don't support at the moment for "our
own" targets, which basically means != amd64).  Why is it that
every language grows a package manager replacement of their own?
How isn't this just a pointy finger in the eye of anyone
operating using packages from pkgsrc, with audit-packages and all
that goes along with e.g. "pkgin fug"?  Doesn't this just make
the given version available for the current user?  And isn't this
just a path to a situation similar to

 https://xkcd.com/1987/

Look at it from a user or local developer perspective. I can either wait for months for the latest rust package to be available from my pkgsrc repository, and then still be limited to one or perhaps two versions, or I can run a single command to install it (usually on the same day a new version of rust is released), or any previously available version, or even a nightly build, immediately.

It pains me to say it because I am still fundamentally a systems package manager advocate, but there's absolutely zero comparison here for someone who just wants rust binaries.

For any rust work I do personally I always use rustup.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com