Re: Revisiting native rust

On 2024-07-22 17:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
[---]
However, we have just crossed over into having multiple versions, so it
may be that with the "the compiler could be something other than what is
in lang/rust" ship having sailed, trying to use native might be less
incrementally troublesome than it was.

   This makes me cautiously optimistic.

    The rust commands support a +<version> argument to force a specific
    version.

I don't see how that helps with the native rust being higher or lower
than pkgsrc rust.

The idea would be that pkgsrc defines its supported rust version, and it's up to the user to make sure that version is installed (or builds will simply fail when it tries to run the rust commands). Just to be clear, installing a specific version is extremely easy, and just requires running a single command (assuming one has rustup installed already):

   $ rustup install 1.67.0

In this hypothetical world, there would be a pkgsrc command to show the current required rust version:

   $ make show-var VARNAME=RUST_VERSION
   1.67.0

.. allowing people to script automatic installation of required toolchain versions.

    Has this already been considered (and rejected)?

I think it's been considered lightly and nobody has a real working code
proposal to seriously think about.  We'll see if any of the rust people
have more useful comments
   Again, cautiously optimistic.  :)

--
Kind Regards,