Re: 2024Q2: 6277 packages to install on later "pkgin upgrade" run

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Van Ly <van.ly%sdf.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> An extra complication to my muddling through the process is that I
>> sometimes use pkgin or pkg_add and through doas or at the shell after a
>> doas su - .
>
> I doubt that matters.

Thought I should mention that in case the pkgin method tracks metadata
the pkg_tools don't.

>> I need to build my own emacs-29.4 for the tmux/emacsclient crash free
>> experience.  This needs the option --with-x-toolkit=lu
>
> That's fine.  The point is that all your packages should be from a
> consistent source tree.   So if you install 2024Q2 binary packages, and
> then check out that branch,  and build emacs with some options, or
> having changed it, that's all good.
>
>> Is there the option to forego the upgrade because I need SBCL pinned,
>> for example?
>
> You need to have all packages from a consistent tree.
>
> You haven't explained what the issue is with SBCL.  If you mean that you
> mostly want 2024Q2, but you need SBCL that is from 2023Q3, because you
> want that version, or it's the last one that works, then you can check
> out 2024Q2, locally change the scbl dir to 2023Q3, and then hand-merge
> the structural change accomodations that happened separate from the
> update and build it.
>
> Or, if you do want recent SBCL but the package is broken, learn how to
> fix it.
>
> When thinking about broken, consider: My doctrine for what is a pkgsrc
> bug vs an upstream bug is: If you build upstream's release, following
> their instructions, does it work correctly?  If so, and the pacakge does
> not, it's a pkgsrc bug.  You may wish to fix upstream first.

Say this is the scenario, the binary distribution repos are such that

 . 2023Q4 has SBCL
 . 2024Q1 has none
 . 2024Q2 has SBCL

I want to keep the SBCL from 2023Q4 until it becomes available again in
2024Q2.

The SBCL package used to be further behind the latest version by a
lot. I found I lost it in an pkgin upgrade cycle. To build an SBCL
requires an existing SBCL or some other CL.

2024Q2 SBCL is two minor versions behind latest so the chance is good
the pkgsrc maintainer will continue to keep it available.

--
vl