Re: [retro] darwin/ppc status report

On 4/21/24 16:07, nia wrote:
A good test case for pkgsrc's legacy support.

Primary challenges
- strict Mach-O linker (needs libtool)
- GCC 4.0 (very old, no C11/C++11 support, default c90)

Let's look at BULK_TEST_ESSENTIAL on this platform:

lua: All versions work.
php: All versions build, but >5.6 segfaults with SIGBUS.
      Needs more investigation.
python: 3.10 works. 3.11/3.12 require C11 and stdatomic.
ruby: No. All versions in pkgsrc require C11
mariadb: No. All versions in pkgsrc reqiure C11/C++11/stdatomic
          via cmake.
postgresql: 15 works. The linker trips up on 16. Needs more
             investigation.
perl5: Works
git-base: Works
mutt: Works
nano: Works
rsync: Works
screen: Works
vim: Works
apache24: Works
nginx: Works
pkgin: Fails to parse database with sqlite syntax error
emacs-nox11: Fails to build
nmap: Fails to build
dovecot2: Fails to build

Getting this far has taken lots of work. All in all, though,
considering this platform is 20 years old, and this is by some
definitions "bleeding edge software", a pretty impressive
show by pkgsrc.

More reading: https://www.NetBSD.org/~nia/tigersrc/

I suspect you could improve on this considerably using a pkgsrc GCC for
all but GCC & deps.  This is exactly the scenario I had to deal with
when supporting CentOS 6 and 7, which also use GCC 4.x as a "base" (Yum
package).  auto-pkgsrc-setup will allow you to choose a GCC version and
add the appropriate code to mk.conf.

http://netbsd.org/~bacon/

I don't have a PPC Mac, so this is all I can offer at the moment.

Cheers,