Re: Updating mbrola (again)

adr <adr%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> free of distribution for non-commercial use. The old packages use
> the LICENSE string "no-commercial-use", and install the license
> and readme files (some of the voices have the license in the readme
> file) into the voice's dir. I'm doing the same, but it seems that
> pkgscr is not happy now with the use of that string.

I see no-commercial-use as historical, something we did long ago.  It is
now pretty firmly established that we don't do that.  The guide says:

  The use of LICENSE=shareware, LICENSE=no-commercial-use, and similar language
  is deprecated because it does not crisply refer to a particular license text.
  Another problem with such usage is that it does not enable a user to tell
  pkgsrc to proceed for a single package without also telling pkgsrc to proceed
  for all packages with that tag.

> would it be better to introduce something like "mbrola-voices-license"
> and add the text the project is using as a licence (and maintaining
> the
> individual licenses in the packages)?:

Yes, when a project has a license that is not in pkgsrc, we add it.  The
-license suffix is used to indicate that it is not Free/Open/DFSG.

> Terms and conditions on the use of the database
>
> By obtaining, using and/or copying this database, you agree that
> you have read, understood, and will comply with these terms and
> conditions:
>
> Permission is granted to use this database for synthesizing speech
> with and only with MBROLA program made available from the MBROLA
> project web page:
>
> https://github.com/numediart/MBROLA/
>
> The distribution of this database is submitted to the same terms
> and conditions as the distribution of the Mbrola program. In
> addition, this database may not be sold or incorporated into any
> product which is sold without prior permission from the particular
> author of the voice database file (look for license.txt file for
> particular voice folder).
>
> When no charge is made, this database may be copied and distributed
> freely, provided that this notice is copied and distributed with
> it.

This meaans that in addition to the license, you must set RESTRICTED and
then NO_*_ON_CDROM.

> Disclaimer
>
> This database carries no warranty, expressed or implied. The user
> assumes all risks, known or unknown, direct or indirect, which
> involve this database in any way. In particular, the author of the
> database does not take any commitment in view of any possible third
> party rights.
>
> This is not realy a license, because depends on the individual
> licenses of each voice. Any advice?

I don't follow "depends on the individual license".  Each package is
supposed to have a license string.

Are you saying that there is one license for mbrola itself, and that
each voice has a different license?    Are there many different ones, or
do a handful cover most voices?

> Should I just let the no-commercial-use string of the old packages?

I think right now we don't have any such strings in pkgsrc and I am not
inclined to allow any in.