Re: Updating mbrola (again)

adr <adr%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>  The use of -git as a suffix because uptream is hosted on github, or
>>  uses git, is not ok.
>
> That was in case for some reason I didn't understand you wanted to
> keep the package based in the old binary. Remember, this was more
> than a year ago, nobody responded.

No, I don't remember!

Generally in pkgsrc we tend to source, and to Free Software over
no-commercial-use.  So there is a strong presumption to upgrade to a
later source release and if somebody objects we can discuss or they can
add a mbrola-bin in wip.

>> Are you saying it is ready for hoisting to pkgsrc?
>
> I'll make them ready following your advice, and ask for help here.
> Remember, nobody responded, I didn't push them again to wip.

wip is meant to be low friction and low need for permission.   if the
package in wip is something you added, you should feel free to change it
in a way you think is better.

> I did a port back then of emacspeak. I don't have vision disabilities,
> but I'm interested in interfacing a computer only with audio. It's
> something I've been always curious about. Altough I have a love-hate
> relationship with emacs, it offers a complete and uniform textual
> environment. Another interesting project I've been using is edbrowse,
> but I'm not satisfied with the software screen readers I've tried,
> and then you need other software for other tasks and the uniformity
> of the interface is then broken. I think this could be good for
> the community, people with vission impairment has been left out of
> netbsd. At least that is my impression, correct me if I'm wrong.

It would be great and I hereby cheer you on.

> The idea I have is to make an image with the latest release (I hope
> it will be 10) so someone could boot an rpi into X11 (so that person
> could share work with peope without vision disabilities) into an
> emacspeak session. Then this person could also use the pi as an
> audio terminal, through ssh or the uart port to interact with
> other systems, even at boot time.

Sure, hack away!

> There are instability problems with raspberry pi computers on
> netbsd, specially with usb, and isochronous transmissions on the
> pi4 have been broken for years, imagine the confussion of a person
> who can't see the screen when some usb device is plugged in and
> the system crashes and reboot itself, or the frustration when all
> usb audio devices like cameras or microphones don't work. So I've
> been using other systems, and going back to netbsd now and then.

> Those packages (and the others I pushed to wip back then: espeak-ng,
> sonic, tclx...) are emacspeak's dependencies.

ok - when you have each package in shape (pkglint clean, ready for
someone with commit access to just commit with "-F COMMIT_MSG") for
import or update, feel free to poke on pkgsrc-users that it is ready.