Re: Committer Request - wip/newsraft

Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> writes:

1> Am 23.01.2024 um 18:15 schrieb Greg Troxel:
>> This seems off.  A buildlink3 results in a full depends, normally, and
>> one uses DEPENDS for packages that must be present at runtime but which
>> are not used at build time.
>
> The "are not used at build time" may be a little confusing, as a DEPENDS
> dependency is indeed installed while building the main package, as well
> as at runtime. So whether or not the dependency is "used" by the package
> is up to the package itself. The package may inspect the executable or
> data files of the dependency, but in cross builds will not be able to
> run them.

I should have been clearer.  There is "does not work" and there is
"unsound".  If a package is DEPENDS but not bl3, then it is, as Roland
says, legit ot inspect data files, and to see if a program exists.  It
is not legit to compile against the libraries (or I'd argue, against the
headers) or to assume that scripts/programs can be run.

Even with bl3, in the brave new world of cross, one cannot run
programs, but one can AC_TRY_COMPILE -- or however you spell that in
cmake.