Re: Committer Request - wip/newsraft

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> > I've finished my work with wip/newsraft. It's a terminal RSS feed
> > reader. I've believe that it is ready for commit so if anyone is
> > able to do this for me, that would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > As a note, the Makefile has a few DEPENDS even for some of the
> > libraries that are bl3'd this is because the documentation stated
> > that they are runtime depends and, I found through testing, that
> > they are actually needed at runtime.
>
> This seems off.  A buildlink3 results in a full depends, normally, and
> one uses DEPENDS for packages that must be present at runtime but which
> are not used at build time.

So, in other words, I should be able to remove the DEPENDS for the
packages that have bl3s? I believe I tried this with curl and it
threw runtime errors -- maybe an issue with compiler flags?

> I personally like to put TOOL_DEPENDS earlier, right after the block
> with the USE_TOOLS line, because it is sort of like "USE_TOOLS, but for
> a tool we don't have explicit support for".

That makes sense.

> It's odd that sqlite3 is DEPENDS but not bl3, but if the program runs
> the sqlite3 binary and does not link to the lib, it is ok.

Good catch on this. It does link the lib[1] so I will add sqlite3 to
the bl3s.

> As for pax, I know we tend to do that.  I do wonder what others think
> about interaction with INSTALL_* and ending up with the right metadata
> about ownership.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean. Does pax not set the
correct permissions/ownership?

> Plus, the distfile doesn't fetch.

Could you elaborate?

Links: