Re: Versioned package name change?

Hauke Fath <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> writes:

> thanks to the stubborn determination of Daniel Markstedt, I have a
> net/netatalk22 package update to 2.3.0
> <https://github.com/Netatalk/netatalk/releases/tag/netatalk-2-3-0>.
>
> Now the hardest part: What to do about the package name? Rename to
> "net/netatalk2"? Just ignore, and stick with netatalk22?

(pmc hat very off)

Despite SUPERCEDES working for pkgin, it doesn't work for the people
that use make replace.    So I would lean to

  Don't rename it, because the name being off is not terrible.  It's
  especially not terrible for an old version that probably people should
  be trying to transition away from.  (But the DESCR are bad; that is
  not manifest.)

  Take this as a lesson that when naming a package for a version, to
  think about the likely trajectory of versions and what does and does
  not need to be versioned.   I realize that it's possible that in this
  case that happened.  The real bug is that upstreams should be good
  enough about compatibility that there is essentially no desire to have
  multiple versions of a pacakge in the first place.

But, I can see the point that there is SUPERCEDES support so it doesn't
hurt so much.