Re: Samba 4 woes

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 08:50:49AM +0100, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a node serving files to a bunch of Windows nodes (various
> versions). It is a STANDALONE server, with only a logical user
> connecting.
>
> After having bluntly pkgin for update, the previous package has been
> removed (I guess because it couldn't determine with which version to
> replace it since there are 4 different versions on the CDN repository).
>
> Since the programs were loaded in memory, I didn't notice anything,
> until I had to restart.
>
> I have then installed samba 4.18.9.
>
> But I'm now at a lost about the behavior: the user is correctly
> identified. He can open and modify binary files, but every text file
> fails for contents modification: the user can create or delete, but not
> modify the contents of a file. Various programs creating temporary
> files and renaming them fail because of that (while an application
> using a binary file doesn't have problems modifying its file). It's
> only with text files or with temporary lock files.
>
> [...]

FWIW, if another user sees this (there are lot of messages on the
Internet of users puzzled by a not working config, and that are
unanswered), I had of course more information by increasing the debug
level.

But, all in all, having other things to do but debug this, I finally
solved my problem: I dropped Samba, and now the Windows nodes (for the
nodes running from Windows 7 to Windows 11) are served with NFS.

Tip for read-write Windows NFS clients: for Windows 7, modify the
registry to add the AnonymousUid and AnonymousGid; for Windows 11, add
the Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/passwd and perhaps group files with
the correct Unix UID and GID, and use the command line "mount" instead of the
explorer: the command line works; connecting a server from the
explorer sometimes works and sometimes not, but one never knows
why (perhaps cached values since they were expecting a node speaking
CIFS; but I'm tired trying to guess...). [For Windows 10, try
Registry, and if this doesn't work, try the passwd file; there is no
Windows 10 node left where I put the file sharing.]
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/